Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Meatless Monday: Week Three - Yep, that's another fail

So, fail again.

Unless you're Catholic. And it's a Friday during Lent. Then seafood is not a meat. (Shhh it's OK, I used to be Catholic, it's fine.)

It was 80+ degrees yesterday (In MN. In Autumn. Big deal!), so I really wanted to grill out. After an "Endless Shrimp Feast" at the Red Lobster last week with my ma, the hubs and I will probably never be OK with shrimp pasta or scampi ever again so grilling seemed like the most tolerable way to use the shrimp we had in the freezer. I turned to the grilling cookbook and found this recipe.



I was without some of the ingredients so I winged it without rice vinegar, ginger, and mango/papaya/pineapple chunks. I used the veggies we currently have in the garden instead of the ones in the recipe.

For the sauce I used the juice from a can of crushed pineapple and some of the pineapple, brown sugar, corn starch, soy sauce, garlic and olive oil.

For veggies on the kabobs I used green peppers, black pearl tomatoes, mini candy onions, little sweet red peppers and zucchini.

Post-skewering.
Pre-saucing.
Pro Tip: Soak those skewers in water for a while or the suckers will burn right off your kabobs!

I spread the sauce on them, grilled them up and they looked lovely!  Note: The sauce was much thicker than I'm guessing it would have been if I had done the exact recipe so I didn't have any to brush on while grilling, still good though!



I think jasmine rice would have been ideal with this but since we only had brown rice, I went with that and added some of the crushed pineapple and smashed up mandarin oranges.


It was goooood! I think this is my new fave way to have shrimp! The hubs liked it too! I made the mistake of letting Little Bear see me pealing the shrimp earlier in the day to which he responded, "I don't wanna eat that." And yep, come dinner, he remembered and would not eat anything but the rice. Ugh, fine.

I'm calling this a fail since one of the points of Meatless Monday is to wipe out the cost of using meat. Yes, the shrimp were in the freezer so they didn't cost anything now, but I did buy them at some point, and I am no longer a Catholic, and it is not a Friday during Lent.

So yeah, FAIL!

I suppose I should maybe give up on Meatless Monday... but nah! I'd rather keep trying and owing up to my failures!

Plus, it's fun to share food experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!