Thursday, October 3, 2013

Another Recipe Share (AKA, Why Have I Never Made Beef and Broccoli Before?)

You may have gathered this by now, but I'm not great at the whole "following a recipe" thing or even really having the correct ingredients. That's part of what I really enjoy about cooking though, it's pretty hard to screw things up as long as your adjustments aren't ridiculous. I think a cooking recipe is better used as a guide to get you going rather than something that MUST be followed. In a lot of cases, minor tweaks can make a so-so meal way better. This may have been one of those cases. Had I followed the recipe to a T, I doubt it would have gone over as well as it did with the fam.

I had some steak and a head of broccoli in the fridge so I did some Googling and settled on this.

Broccoli Beef Recipe

Somehow, I have never cooked this and I have no idea why. Easy. Not terrible for you. Delish. Duh!

Of course, I had to make some adjustments for the fact that my cupboards were lacking.

I have no clue how much steak or broccoli I used. Probably more than the recipe asked for. It looked like a satisfying amount. I was plum out of Chinese rice wine (or never had it ever) so I went with white wine. No oyster sauce in the house (shocking, right) so I just added a bit more chicken broth to compensate. Also, I felt like there wasn't nearly enough marinade so I did tablespoons of the wine and soy sauce rather than teaspoons.

I know I marinaded longer than the 10 minutes in the recipe but I have no idea how long. 30 minutes? 45? I'm easily distracted by other tasks.

Tossed it up on some brown rice and wala, dinner!

And it was good! Little Bear even liked it! Well, he liked the steak part. The broccoli and rice weren't so much a hit. I'll take what I can get at dinner time. The hubs was a big fan and my Ma was over and liked it too.

Yep, that's a dinner win, folks!

So go ahead, divert from the recipe. Try something that could be great, or weird. Tweak things for you, your family and your pantry. Learn as you go. Make dinner an experiment.

Cooking is actually pretty forgiving when you make educated guesses.

Worst case scenario, choke down something not so good and try again tomorrow. Or make a frozen pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!