Monday, November 11, 2013

Roasted Sunflower Seeds

Late last winter, Little Bear and I went to a green expo. Home Depot had a seed planting booth that we were able to have some fun at and we were lucky enough to bring home a lovingly planted sunflower seed. We added her to the rest of our seedlings and hoped for the best.


Come warm weather, she joined our Backyard Farm.

Yeah, that sucker grew!



Come harvest time, I thought I'd try something new and roast up the seeds from our pretty lady.

First, I cut the flower head and let it dry for a couple of weeks. When the back had turned yellow and the seeds were wiggly, I flicked them out and gave them a good rinse.


From there I soaked them overnight in saltwater. The seeds floated so I had to get a little creative to keep them under.


The next day I cooked the seeds for 4 hours at 200 degrees.

They smelled nice. They looked pretty. I was excited!


And then I cracked one open.

Empty. 

And another.

Empty.

And ten more.

Flippin' empty! 

Are you kidding me!?

And another.

Empty.

And another.

Seed! Yes! Delicious, seed!

And then another.

Damn! 

And the rest.

Son of a bitch. 

How is that even possible!? 

And into the trash they went.


Bastard seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!