Monday, September 16, 2013

Meatless Monday

Tonight's Meatless Monday was brought to us by the abundance of cans of black beans in my pantry, one of many giant tomato harvests, leftover cilantro and mashed avocado, a missed grocery trip due to a crazy day, bulk tortillas and cheese in the deep freeze and the fact that I can usually trick Little Bear into eating most triangular foods by telling him it's "fancy pizza".
And wala! Black Bean Quesadillas! 
Back to "Meatless Monday" though. I have heard of folks having a meatless day each week to save coin. I've always decided against it because A.) Could it really save THAT much? Especially when we don't even really buy all that fancy of meat? And B.) The hubs gets a little sad when I skip the meat on dishes like pasta or casseroles (blame his farm boy genes, I guess) so I figured it wouldn't even really be an option. 
Well, jump to now when I've been a SAHM for 9 months and am super over making a real dinner most nights. A little meatless creativity sounds OK. 
We'll see how long it lasts but so far so good! Used up a lot of garden goods, found a new use for my bulk black beans (That I seems to be the only one that will eat. Side note: Don't try to hide pureed black beans in tomato sauce. You'll think you are a genius but you'll really just have a lot of a weird sauce left that only you will eat), saved some stuff from spoilage, and it was easy and balanced. Oh, AND the hubs liked it! Bam. Win!
Little Bear, not so much. But he's two. And decides he no longer likes a food if the dog barks during dinner. He doesn't know what he likes most days. We let him fill his body with cold edamame for dinner and I polished off the rest of his discarded (delicious) quesadilla after he left the table.
Next week I may have to get more creative... Hmmmm...
Yep. Good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!