Monday, October 21, 2013

Meatless Monday Lazy Win!

To me, Brinner pretty much always involves eggs. Sometimes they are in french toast form, sometimes an egg bake or omelet, sometimes just straight up classic-grandma's-cheesy-eggs. Tonight we did Brinner, sans the eggs.

Due to an extended "You have to go potty!" battle with Little Bear, I was running a little behind on dinner prep for the night. Actually, come 5 o'clock, I hadn't even decided what we would have apart from the fact that I was determined to stick to the Meatless Monday deal. Brinner is easy but we had all had eggs for breakfast and there is a limit to how many eggs one family should consume in a day. So what to do? Zero time, limited creativity flowing and must be meatless.

You know you miss having more Wilford Brimley in your life.
Oatmeal. 

Man, I love me some delicious oatmeal. Not the instant from a packet stuff (I'd demolish that too though), but from the stove oatmeal with delicious mix-ins. 

Oatmeal usually falls into the cereal category and as a cereal is always ruled out as a dinner food because, well, now we have a child. Our days of eating cereal for dinner went out the window when Little Bear started eating solids. Tonight, I reconsidered.

When we have oatmeal for breakfast, we usually have a variety of mix-ins to choose from. Milk, fruit, raisins, etc. So when I got to thinking about it, I realized it's a damn balanced meal. Cook it up!

10 minutes later, bam! Meatless Monday done and Brinner revamp! 

AND since I wrote this up, it's no longer a great example of me being lazy, just good blog fodder. Happy Monday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!