Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Why I Will Always Wear Mascara

It's often touted as one of the most necessary make-up products. I personally have seen multiple blurbs about it being the one item most woman would choose to have in their purse, vanity kit or on a desert island. Granted, most of those "Make-Up Sophie's Choice" blurbs were in Cosmo or Glamour magazines, still, it's a pretty important little tube.

During my last two weeks of being a working mom I did a lot of thinking about the kind of SAHM I would be. Sitting at my desk one day it hit me, "I must continue to wear mascara. If I leave the house, I must wear mascara." I knew that doing full on make-up, hair or even taking a shower each day would be tough but I vowed to always brush my lashes with a little very-black, voluminous, lash extending goo.

There is something in my brain that sees the absence of mascara as the fine line between me being a frazzled-but-slightly-put-together SAHM and a mom that stopped caring. It's a slippery slope, people. First I stop wearing mascara. Next I stop wearing real pants and resort to sweats and gym shorts every day. Then I completely stop shaving my legs. What's next!? Slippery slope. I have spent many days looking like a 5 foot ball of tired fright while roaming the house or yard but if I step off that curb, out comes trusty wanded friend.

I rarely notice if other moms wear any type of make-up nor do I see the absence of it as anything worth noting but I know that for me, mascara is a necessary product. I've applied it at stop lights. In parking lots. Just before walking into a friend's house. While brushing my teeth. And, I'm pretty sure I have even applied my mascara while going pee.

Sure, I might be wearing the same pair of capris for the third day in a row. And honestly, I might have to take a minute to realize that it has somehow been four days since I washed my hair. And no, I don't actually like The Cubs, this is just the best baseball hat I have to cover my rat's nest...

But dammit, my lashes look gorgeous!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!