Thursday, September 26, 2013

Jenna Wolfe tries breast-feeding her baby in public

Although I love me some Today Show, I'm not always a huge Jenna Wolfe fan. Honestly, I usually end up yelling, "Ugh, shut up!" when she's on the tube any given Saturday morning. I have to say though, she did this well.

Only 5 weeks postpartum and still technically on maternity leave, Jenna decided to join the Today cast during their week long Born Today series (Which, btw, is its own post altogether. Oddest ratings jump effort ever.). Since she is currently a nursing mom, Jenna was the perfect reporter to tackle the topic of nursing in public.


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I nursed Little Bear until he was about 21 months old, was a pro-pumper at work and exclusive breast feeder on the weekends and days off. I am proud to say I was able to do that for my child but am very well aware that it is not for everyone.

Nursing is hard. Damn hard. It's a pain in the butt and a literal pain in the boob. 

Although I was, and still am, very much an advocate for breastfeeding, nursing in public was something I was never a fan of. Not that I care if other woman do it, more power to you if you feel comfortable! For me though, it just didn't feel right. It made me so tense that the nursing session ended up being more work than it should be. Instead I would find a dressing room, go to the car or Google Map the nearest Babies R Us so I could hang in their Mother's Room for a while.

I know when baby number two comes along someday I will do my best to nurse as long as I did with Little Bear and by then I will probably care way less about where I feed my babe but for now, I'm still kind of a boob prude.

I will say though, Jenna may have empowered me a bit. If that reporter chick can do it on camera, I can totally rock some public breastfeeding!

Thanks Jenna Wolfe, you done good.

"While it's not always easy, most of us moms are just trying to do our best." And that is all anyone can ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!