Monday, September 23, 2013

Chobani Recall

So, remember that recent Chobani recall?

At the time that it came out we happened to have some Chobani Champions tubes in our fridge. I didn't think anything of the recall since every report I heard on the news only mentioned the cups (my bad, I should have Googled).

Jump to a couple of days later when little bear is about 1/3 through a tube and says, "It ishy!" I took a taste and he was right, suddenly ishy! It tasted a little bubbly and kind of made my mouth tingle, which I figured couldn't be right. I threw that one out and went about my day. A couple of days later I noticed that the tubes were looking a little funky. Almost like they were expanding.


Although I had never purchased the Champion tubes before, I figured they probably aren't supposed to do that. After a lot of time spent hunting on the Chobani site (Far too much time, in my opinion. Help me help you, Chobani) I finally found their contact info and sent a message to Customer Care.

Contact Message: 
I purchased a 16 tube pack of Chobani Champions Jammin' Strawberry/Rockin' Blueberry a couple of weeks ago and have noticed some oddities with the strawberry tubes. Two of the tubes have tasted sort of fizzy and bubbly and a little off. The blueberry tubes do not seem to be an issue but we have stopped eating them as well as the strawberry just in case there is an issue. Some of the tubes in the pack also seem to be larger and have more pressure in them, almost to the point that they look as if they could pop.


That was on 09/12. On 09/19 I heard back.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to contact us. We sincerely apologize that your experience with Chobani Greek Yogurt fell below the very high standards to which we hold our products.
Here at Chobani, nothing is more important to us than the quality of our yogurt and the safety and satisfaction of our consumers.
After hearing concerns of bloating and swelling surrounding certain products produced at our Idaho facility, we decided to voluntarily recall select products. After testing, we identified that some of the products voluntarily recalled contained a type of mold known as Mucor circinelloides, a species commonly found in the dairy environment that is not considered a foodborne pathogen.
Our recall includes products marked with the code 16-012 and expiration dates 09/11/13 - 10/07/13. This information can be found on each product lid.
So far, over 95% of the potentially impacted products have been removed from retail shelves. However, if you have products with these codes, please discard them, and we’ll coordinate replacement product.
Be on the lookout for replacement product coupons to arrive in the mail.
We appreciate your support and understanding and remain committed to crafting the best tasting, highest quality products made with only natural ingredients.


After reading the email the first time through, I felt pretty good. I brought this to their attention! Yay for me!

And then I read through the message again and realized that it was totally a standard email that was copied and pasted and I was like the hundreds of other people that had complained. I was not special.

But on the plus side, I'll get some free yogurt coupons out of the deal!

Moral of the story, it's ok to bitch like everyone else, as long as you get some free stuff. 

Also, check your fridge, you may be feeding your tiny human some nastiness.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I also had a weird fizzing chobani about a week ago. Now I can check the rest :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!